12 Biggest Surprises of the 2011 Phillies Season
To the average person, this Phillies season may have seemed pretty predictable. Excellent pitching and an early play-off berth were two things that the Phillies were expected to do from the get go. But if there’s one thing that I love the most about baseball, it would be to expect the unexpected. From Worley’s successful rookie year to all the closers with only a few blown saves, this season has kept us on the edge of our seats. With that said, the ballgirls all voted on their favorite surprises of this season. I think you’ll have no trouble adding your own ideas to our short list.
1. A victory that took 19 innings!! – Moira
2. Who can deny that the weather this season has been more extreme than most fans have seen in a while?? – Sammy
3. I would have to say Hunter Pence’s “proverb” being such a phenom!
4. Utley’s strong performance after his serious knee injury…I almost forgot he was ever hurt! – Emily
5. Watching Valdez pitch during a 19 inning game with Katelyn on my last training day! – Maureen
6. Throwback…. Wilson Valdez getting the win, as a pitcher! – Gen
7. I never expected it to get any more bizarre than seeing Oswalt play left field last season, who was I to second guess. My favorite most surprising Phillies’s moment this season is when Wilson Valdez recorded his first MLB win as a pitcher. It happened early on in the season, but this one still astonishes me every time I think about it. He certainly made a show of it – shaking off pitches and a drilling batter, but way to get it done! – Patti
8. I’d have to say that the biggest surprise to me this season hasn’t been any of the incredible performances by the players but rather the weather! I remember waking up the morning of Opening Day and seeing SNOW on the ground!!! I immediately text Bonnie and asked her what we should wear on the field, thankfully as the day went on the sun came out and it warmed things up….just a little. In July the Philadelphia are experience an excessive heat wave which left the guys playing in 100+ degree weather for a weekend. Then in the month of August we had 3 games rained out, two of which were due to hurricane Irene, needless to say the weather has been unpredictable and has kept everyone on their toes. – Tori
9. I’m not sure if this really counts, but I think that the biggest surprise of the 2011 season for me, happened before the season even began. In the off-season, the Phillies pulled off the shocking trade that returned Cliff Lee to the Phillies for the 2011 season. I tend to be addicted to any and all trade news involving the Phillies, but this rumor just seemed impossible to me. So I gave up hope and went to bed, only to wake up to the news of Cliff Lee’s return to the Phillies and the first pleasant surprise of the 2011 season! – Jamie
10. Acquiring Hunter Pence! – Bridgette
11. Not that I didn’t think she had it in her…and not that this should be much of a surprise, but my vote goes to an awesome grab by Patti earlier in the season. We were playing Huston, up 2-0 in the bottom of the 4th when Angel Sanchez nailed one down the 3rd baseline. Patti, who doesn’t even flinch, ever so gracefully picks up her chair and fields it on one hop. The crowd proceeds to cheer as she hands the ball over to a young fan and curtseys before sitting back down in her chair. I included a screen shot and I know it’s a little blurry…but it’s because the ball/Patti was moving so fast! What do you expect?! – Becca
12. Brian Schneider’s great winning record when he’s behind homeplate (24-3 at the end of August). I’m sure Worley’s awesome rookie year helped play a part in all these wins, as well! – Bonnie